Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Pick me up dinner @ Polpo

The man has just returned from a draining trip to Aberdeen, so to cheer him up after an 8-hour train ride, I decided to treat him to a meal at Polpo in Soho. This is a gorgeous Venetian style bacaro on Beak Street and is definitely one of my favourite Italians in London. I also love the fact that Canaletto used to live in the building.
The menu is fantastic, with a delicious selection of mezze style dishes, which means you can order loads without feeling too greedy! My favourites today were the broad bean, ricotta and mint bruschettas and scallops with pancetta and peas...yum! The atmosphere is great, no matter what time of day and the staff are really friendly without being too in your face. Be prepared to wait for a table most evenings (especially over the weekend) as the place is very popular. But is this really a hardship when you can wait in anticipation by the bar with a glass of red wine...or two?!