Friday, September 10, 2010

BIBA is back!

If I could travel back in time, one of the places that I would definitely visit would be the Biba store in South Kensington during the 70's. Several floors of fashion, fun, frivolity, oh and don't forget the flamingos on the roof gardens! So when I heard Biba was going to be launching a range, exclusive to House of Fraser, I just couldn't wait! Now the legend that is Barbara Hulanicki (who I have actually met in person - just wonderful!) has dabbled in projects since Biba closed in 1975, including wallpaper design for Habitat and a capsule collection for Topshop, but this sees her go back to her roots. 
The range takes inspiration and key elements from the Biba archive whilst keeping it fresh and commercial for today's market. The stand out piece for me was the maxi tiger print coat, complete with red satin lining and Biba logo buttons - to die for! Although at £395 it was a purchase I had to walk away from. When in store waiting for the changing rooms I got talking to a lovely lady, who as it turns out was a Biba shop girl in the 70s! I was awe struck! Of course I asked if she still had any originals, but as it turns out a lot of what she had has died through wear over the years and generations, but she assures me they had a happy life! 
Loved this Art Deco beaded cocktail dress.
The shop fit was decedent and true to old in gold and black. Lacquered stands, deco lamps and ostrich feather chandeliers added glamour to the second floor of the department store.
The gorgeous logo was flashed across wallpaper, labelling and coat hangers.