Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Grace Kelly exhibition @ the V&A - A true style icon

I finally got round to seeing the Grace Kelly exhibition at the V&A today and I wish I could say that it was worth the wait. Don’t get me wrong, it was wonderful to see some of her designer clothes and film costumes up close, but I felt the space was too small to let the clothes really shine - especially as the summer crowds have now hit the museum. The absence of her gorgeous wedding dress also left me feeling a little unsatisfied (i believe it is tucked away in a museum in her home city of Philadelphia). A lot of visitors were disappointed with how worn and threadbare some of the clothes were, but I actually liked that! It gave them life and showed that they were enjoyed when worn (i especially liked her scuffed 'Kelly' Hermes handbag). The museum also documented how Grace would recycle her film costumes in ‘real life’ and was never afraid of being seen in the same outfit twice, which I thought was very refreshing. I didn’t come away feeling I had learnt anything new about Grace Kelly, but at a reasonable price of £6 a ticket I think it was good value. If anything it prompted me to go home and watch Rear Window, to enjoy her talent and breathtaking beauty on screen. Now why wouldn’t you recycle your film costumes if they were as gorgeous as that?! 
One of many ball gowns worn by Grace Kelly (and the only one I was able to photograph... no cameras allowed!)